Wednesday 1 October 2008

CG, SciFi and art.

CG, SciFi and art. Three things that I have more than a passing interest in, have a great desire to contribute to, and have only my photography to really show for it.

I've been following a few artists and the work that they have produced and, since days of my early childhood, I've always been intrigued by movies like Star Wars (the first 3 EPs 4, 5 & 6), TV shows like Battlestar Galactica (which has since made a brilliant comeback) and also Babylon 5 which had massive scope and was a favorite for a fairly long time. I'm not entirely sure what it was that got me hooked, whether it was the imagination behind it or perhaps the idea that there could be so many other worlds out there, I'm not really sure. I'm not one of these people who sit there and try to spot UFOs, or have even the slightest iota of belief that anyone has ever been abducted by aliens and subjected to an Eric Cartman style probing, but I'm also not someone who believes that we're it in the universe and seeing what other people imagine for both our future and for other worlds is something that I find both exciting and intriguing.

I tend to loiter around web sites such as CGSociety.org and SciFi-Meshes.com as this is where the artists responsible for my daydreaming childhood reside. I've gone through and have grabbed a few samples of the work these guys do and would encourage anyone to take the time to explore the web sites as they are really quite good!

I've been gradually teaching myself the related tools (3DS MAX - a 3D modeling tool and Photoshop - which gets stacks of use in relation to my photography) that these guys are clearly masters at and one day I hope to post something in a similar vein to what I have posted below. Honestly though I would not be holding my breath! I will be brave and post a few things that I have been working on soon but at this stage you'll have to live with the examples below - nothing like setting the bar high for oneself!

From a concept artist named 'Sparth' - Website
From an artist named Stephan Matiniere: Website
From an artist named Alexander Preuss: Website

No comments:

Post a Comment